On 22nd May, the Local Medical Committees (LMC) Conference in York will debate a motion that calls for discussions with the UK government about introducing charges for GP services in England and Wales. Local Medical Committees are independent bodies that represent GPs.
Downloadable letter to Calderdale GPs: make sure the NHS stays free at the point of need
Please consider writing to members of Calderdale Local Medical Committee and your own GP surgery, asking them to make sure that the NHS stays free at the point of need. We, the public, have already paid for the NHS with our taxes and National Insurance contributions.
Introducing charges for GP services would be socially divisive. People on low incomes and people with chronic illnesses would be unable to afford them, and this would undo the basic principle of the NHS, which is that it is universal and equitable.
You can use this letter if you like.
GPs on Calderdale LMC
- Dr Ben Wyatt, LMC Chair, Brig Royd Surgery, Hirstwood, Ripponden HX6 4BN (Tel: 01422 822209, firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Dr S Nagpaul, LMC Vice Chair, Spring Hall Medical Centre, Spring Hall Lane, Halifax, HX1 4JG
- Dr S Chambers, LMC Medical Secretary – (Church Lane Surgery, 24 Church Lane, Brighouse, HD6 1AT. Email: email@example.com )
- Dr C McMichael LMC Treasurer,Stainland Road Medical Centre, 70 Stainland Road, Greetland, Halifax HX4 8BD
- Dr Dinesh Kumar, Todmorden Health Centre, Todmorden Group Practice, Lower George Street, Todmorden OL14 5RN
- Dr Emma Smith – salaried GP in Todmorden
- Dr Richard Loh, Queens Road Surgery, 252 Queens Road, Halifax, HX1 4NJ
- Dr Jocelyn Gooch, Hebden Bridge Valley Medical Centre, Valley Road, Hebden Bridge, HX7 7BZ
- Dr Matt Smith, Brig Royd Surgery, Hirstwood, Ripponden HX6 4BN
Here’s the full list of Calderdale GP practices, with their postal addresses, in case you want to write to your own GP and they’re not a member of Calderdale LMC.
Lobby LMC Conference at York Barbican, 8.30am, 22nd May
It seems unlikely that the motion will pass, but if you want to show support for our NHS which is free at the point of use, there is a a picket/ lobby of the LMC Conference at York Barbican, Paragon Street, York YO10 4NT from 8.30am on 22nd May, as GPs arrive for the 9:00 am Conference start.
York People’s Assembly, Leeds Keep Our NHS Public and Medsin (medical students) are among the groups supporting this action.
Calderdale LMC website has more info about who they are and what they do.
You can also sign this online open letter to the British Medical Association (BMA).