Discretionary Housing Payment is available if you’re struggling to pay rent

Calderdale residents may be eligible for financial support if they are struggling to keep up with payments of rent.

You can apply online for DHP at www.calderdale.gov.uk/benefits or drop in at any Customer First office for an application form.

The Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme is an emergency fund which provides financial assistance whilst allowing people time to find alternative solutions. This is an additional payment on top of any housing benefit already received. Continue reading

Help from Council for people who’ve been flooded out of their homes

Info about help for people who’ve been flooded out of their homes is on the Calderdale Council residents’ flood help website in the section:

“Help available through the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme”

Anyone who has had to leave their home temporarily due to flooding and is in receipt of Housing Benefit may be able to get assistance with the following:

  • Bond payments if moving into a private tenancy
  • Removal costs
  • Shortfall in rent if temporarily moving into a property larger than the household needs

Please complete and return to us the Discretionary housing payment form [(downloadable here

Bedroom tax tenants can get legal aid to stop evictions and challenge Council refusal of DHP through judicial review

Solicitor Keith Lomax writes (below) about tenants’ eligibility for legal aid when facing eviction and how to challenge Councils’ decisions to refuse discretionary housing payments. 

Keith has specialised in housing since he qualified as a solicitor and has developed particular interest and experience in public law and human rights, regulatory law, planning, employment, education, and community care.

There have been severe cutbacks in legal aid, but legal aid is still available for people facing possession of their homes, or eviction after a possession order has been made.

Continue reading